Leveraging innovative technology to simulate service conditions and ensure product reliability.
FEATURES AND BENEFITS
Through this vessel, we simulate deepwater service conditions for insulated pipe, flexible pipe and custom-coated subsea structures by controlling both water and pipe temperatures and applying pressure to the water surrounding the insulation coatings. By simulating these conditions and measuring the heat flow and compressive creep of the insulating material, we can advise the pipeline design engineer of both the thermal efficiency and depth rating of the insulation.
SIMULATED SUBSEA CONDITIONS
- Insulated pipe is installed in a pressurized tank and tested under subsea pressure and temperature conditions for long periods of time to determine thermal performance over time.
- Pressure increases are conducted in steps to determine the immediate and long-term response of insulation properties to changes in pressure.
- With market requirements trending towards deep and ultra-deep exploration opportunities, the SSV has been designed to accommodate testing to an equivalent water depth up to 3,000 m (9,842 ft.) at an internal pipe temperature of up to 180°C (356°F).
REDUCED PRODUCT QUALIFICATION TIME
- We adjust testing schedules to accommodate customer requirements.
- Our qualified on-site technical staff validates all test results via third-party inspections.
PROJECT-SPECIFIC PIPE CONFIGURATION TESTING
- Testing accommodates the exact configuration of pipe that will be put into service, including large diameter (up to 610 mm [24 in.] OD) at lengths of up to 6 m (18 ft.) so that clients will have an accurate understanding of the thermal performance for their installed pipe.
- The SSV can test both the field joint and the main line insulation.
UNIQUE TESTING CAPABILITIES
- Shawcor is able to measure how thermal conductivity and compressive response changes over time as a function of hydrostatic pressure.
- The SSV can evaluate the insulation’s long-term reliability by testing cool-down time and creep.
- The heating system ensures accuracy through precise temperature control.
- Oil and gas
- Large diameter
- Small diameter
TYPICAL PLANT CAPABILITIES AND PRODUCT PROPERTIES
||Simulated Service Vessel
|Minimum test pressure
||25 bar (± 2)
|Maximum test pressure
||300 bar (± 5)
|Chilled water temperature inside pressure vessel
||4°C (40°F) (± 2)
||6 m (18') max
|Number of pipe samples
|Pipe inside diameter
||95–660 mm (4"–26")
|Pipe outside diameter (includes insulation)
||145–810 mm (6"–32")
|Coating thermal conductivity
||0.1–0.3 W/m K
|Overall heat transfer coefficient (U)
||1.5–6.0 W/m 2 K