Flat Panel Detectors
SIS have considerable experience in the use of Flat Panels Detector (FPD’s) in industrial applications. Our iX-Control software captures the radiographic images from the FPD and provides for both shading corrections and bad pixel processing in real-time. We provide the necessary shielding for the electronics to withstand the x-ray energy being used.
Our range of FPD shielding products covers 160kV to 15 MV for a long service life. Smaller flat panels can replace X-ray image intensifiers (6” to 9” models), providing real-time images with no distortion, non-linearity and un-affected by magnetic fields. SIS can supply a range of x-ray systems with integrated FPD’s from most of the leading manufacturers that produce industrial FPD’s for use at 160kV and above.
FPD’s are composed of two principle imaging components. The first imaging element is a scintillator screen that converts the x-rays into visible light. A wide range of scintillation screens and materials are suitable and most manufacturers offer different screen options. This screen is coupled to an array of photosensitive photodiodes which convert the visible light to an electrical charge. This charge can be read out via an array of switches of Thin Film Transistors (TFT’s) and digitized. The digitized values for each photodiode, can be used to generate a corresponding grey level value in single image pixel. Thus the array of photodiodes allow a digital radiograph to be captured, each diode corresponding to a pixel in the radiographic image.
Typical FPD Product Ranges
- Panel sizes: From 2.5cm x 2.5cm to 41cm x 41cm
- Technology: Amorphous Silicon and CMOS
- Pixel resolutions: From 75μm to 0.4mm
- Pixel Number: Up to 4096 x 4096
- Digitization: 14 bit and 16 bit options
- Scintillators: Choice of scintillators, application tailored
- Read-out: Typically 1– 4 fps, some real-time options
- Binning: Most models support binning
- Real-Time: Many available models have real-time capability (25/30 fps or greater)
- Grade: Standard or Premium grades (CT)
- Energy range: 20kV to 15 MV (some models up 225kV)
- Shielding: From 160kV to 15 MV options
- Magnetic fields: no effect on performance
- Dynamic range: up to 88dB can be obtained
- Interface: GigE or fiber optic
- Temperature: 10 °C to 35 °C—cooling plate option